In August I’m going to Haiti. That is part of the reason why I began this blog…so I could capture all of the way cool things God will be doing in and through me on that mission trip. Today, I had to get 3 vaccinations and spent a boat load of money on 3 different types of pills for things like ciperol (spelling???)…a drug that will keep me from getting malaria, but while I’m taking it may give me nightmares and hallucinations??? Hmmmmm??? No Thank You!!! Honestly?!?! Is malaria really that bad??? The pharmacists thought I was nuts when I asked her that…
Five years ago I passed up a trip to go to Brazil because I would have had to get too many shots…more than most because I already have a compromised immune system (well, that’s not the only reason…that would have made me a complete moron…but it figured into the decision). I just tend to pass out when I get stuck with needles. You’d think I’d be over it since I have to get my blood drawn every 6 weeks, but no…I’m totally that girl. So back to Haiti. It is a completely random God story on why I feel led to go there. Feel free to tell me that I’m nuts after you read this…
Almost a year ago, Pastor Tim told a story of a man in our congregation who felt led all of a sudden to pray for Kenya. He wasn’t sure why. He had never been there before, nor did he know anyone from Kenya; but in completely trusting God, this man began to pray for Kenya. As luck would have it, several weeks later on a business trip, this man ended up on a plane sitting next to someone who played a major role in raising money and doing missionary work in that country. As the two men talked, it was decided that the main character of this story would get involved and he eventually raised and donated enough money to build and supply several schools in an area of much need. The people in this particular area of Kenya were so moved by this man’s generosity that they invited him to Kenya, where he fell in love even more with the people and turned his life’s work into raising resources to help educate the children of Kenya. Some big official in that country got wind of his work and invited this man to meet whoever the “big” people are in that country and now this man from my congregation who one day heard God say, “pray for Kenya” is a celebrated hero in Kenya.
So after hearing this story…what did my completely neurotic little mind decided to do???? Duh! Pick a country and pray for it! In the auditorium of church that day, I asked God which country I should pray for. Haiti was the first country that came to mind. I knew nothing about it, knew no one there, I don’t speak French; but whatev! I just started praying for Haiti. I’m not that naïve…I didn’t think I’d be a celebrated hero there…but everybody can use a little prayer, so why not pray for Haiti. My prayers lasted about 2 months before I forgot why I was praying for Haiti in the first place. I’m ashamed to say that I stopped.
Oh but wait…The story does not stop there…my friend Christine who I met on my first international mission trip to Mexico in 2003 when we lived in San Diego together came to visit me one day a few weeks ago. Her church in Nashville was planning a mission trip to Haiti…and there was 1 spot left. “You should come with us” she told me. Tempting, but the trip would require me to miss the first 4 days of the new school year. I initially declined, but God would not take Haiti out of my head. In a spontaneous moment a few days later while I was talking to my principal (who by the way had been really vocal about not letting some of our students start a prayer club at school outside of school hours), I completely just blurted out that I had this incredible opportunity to go to Haiti on this mission trip and all of the corresponding details. His response…”I’d kill you if you didn’t do this! Let’s talk to Pat (our HR director)” OMG! Was this really happening??? To make a long story short, my school district is completely supportive of me missing the first 4 days of school to serve others in Christ in Haiti! CRAZY! Even more crazy…since I have a SmartBoard in my room, they want me to hook up a Skyp connection (live video chat) and talk to my students while I am there about what I am doing. How flippin’ awesome is that!!! Not only is this an incredible opportunity for me, but I get to show my kids a new culture, give them an experience of what it is like to serve others, and share my faith with them! God totally rocks my face off!
So I’m going to Haiti from August 21-28. Please pray for this trip and all 10 (I think) of us who will make the journey. Pray that God would prepare us and them for the work to be done there. My heart has been extra heavy for this country since learning that I will be able to do God’s work there… Haiti is the western hemisphere's poorest country. It is a poverty-stricken land of urban overpopulation where people still suffer from the wounds of civil strife and oppression. Voodoo and Witchcraft are common practices as most people live day to day without any hope for the future. We will be partnering with a church down there to run their VBS, visit an orphanage (no…I don’t intend to come hope with a little Haitian baby…at least not this trip ::wink::), and just build into this community of people. For more information about what I will be doing, visit the link below. It captures last years group from Nashville on this trip. http://www.unitedcaribbean.com/nashville-haiti2007.html.
p.s. I have no idea who reads this blog (if anyone). Feel free to leave me a comment or send me an email and let me know what you think…I sometimes feel like when I hit the post button, I’m sending my words out to get lost in the infinite emptiness of cyberspace.
Thoughts on the Morning After
9 years ago
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing your story of how you ended up being able to sign up for the Haiti trip and how God used the man in your congregation. They were both really encouraging for my faith!
Post a Comment